- Corn salad, Valerianella locusta, is a small dicot annual plant of the family Valerianaceae.
Know your Corn Salad - Common names
- It is also called Lewiston cornsalad, lamb's lettuce, fetticus, field salad, mâche, feldsalat, nut lettuce and rapunzel.
Know your Corn Salad - Botany
- Corn salad grows in a low rosette with spatulate leaves up to 15.2 cm long.
- It is a hardy plant that grows to US zone 5, and in mild climates it is grown as a winter green.
- In warm conditions it tends to bolt to seed.
Know your Corn Salad - Distribution
- Corn salad grows wild in parts of Europe, northern Africa and western Asia.
- In Europe and Asia it is a common weed in cultivated land and waste spaces.
- In North America it has escaped cultivation and become naturalized on both the eastern and western sea-boards.